Sunday, February 16, 2014

Zoo Run 2014 - 12km in 48min 08sec

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)



About 8,000 runners took part in Safari Zoo Run 2014 today. The race consisted of run through the Singapore Zoo and Night Safari route. One loop was about 6km.

The event was started six years ago in memory of the zoo's orangutan Ah Meng. Ah Meng died of old age in February 2008. Wildlife Reserves Singapore said a portion of the proceeds from this year's race will go towards the care of endangered animals in Night Safari and Singapore Zoo.

For the sake of fundraising and to enjoy the competition of the race, 45 of Flexifitness athletes took part in the race, which has 2.8km for children, 6km competitive run and 12km run for older children and adults. 

I was there at the Zoo at 6 45am. It was crowded but it was orderly. Immediately, I was able to get a car park lot.

I was focused on running my race. My target to run today is to do a steady state run and not really bother about time. Between last Wednesday to Saturday, I did not do any form of running training. I was feeling tired throughout the week.

Hence, I decided to do a sub - 50min for the 12km Men Open race. There was no Men Veteran section.

We were allowed to go in at 7 15am to the start line. There was no pushing to go in front of the starting point. At 7 30am, the race started. I realised that the race kicked off with some dashing and speeding up by runners who were in the front during the early portion of the race.

Throughout the run, I was composed not to push too hard and go easier. At 4km mark, I did 15min 10sec. At 5km mark, my time stood at 19min 10sec. My friend Christian Stauffer cheered me on during the race. 

I mistook the race for 10km instead of 12km as I was pacing myself during the race. Only when I ran half-way did I know that I have just completed 6km and there was another 6km loop to go. At the 6.5km mark, I was dog tired. 

The route was full of gradual upslopes and downslopes. Later on, at most part of the race, I was simply enjoying the route. It was lovely to run and it was nice to see the animals while I was running. At certain parts, I did not have time to see the animals. The animals I saw, if I am not wrong, were hyenas, giraffes and elephants.

As soon as I reached the 8km mark, the time stood at 32min 05sec. I was very happy to see this time.

At 9km mark, I realised that I might do a sub - 48min for the 12km route. Most parts of the route, I had to zig-zag myself throughout the route as the 6km runners were still running along the route. 

Towards the last 1km, I sped and did a 48min 08sec for the 12km race. I was happy to see this time. This is an unofficial timing and I am waiting for the official timing which will be out in the net soon.

I was also happy to see that 4 of our athletes did a sub-50min for the 12km race. Two of them did 46min plus while another did 49min plus. 

Last year's fastest girl in our group did 1hr 08min for the 12km. This year our fastest girl did 47min plus at the 10km mark and 55min at the 12km mark.  


Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.