Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Chen Ming Ming - (30/12/2012), 2nd in MR 25 Ultramarathon

Note:


If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Marcel Sng

Chen Ming Ming - 83.4km covered, 2nd in  Women's Open Race

Race   - Annual MR 25 Ultramarathon Race 2012
Time  Between 7am to 7pm
Place - Macritchie Reservoir

Picture 1 - Ashley Liew, Coach Rameshon, Kashken Ray Hodge (Standing) and Ming Ming (extreme right)



We have done an interview on Chen Ming Ming, who was 8th position in MR 25 Ultramarathon race,  held last year. This year she came in 2nd by covering 83.4km. Coach Rameshon has told me often that Ming Ming is a committed runner in Flexifitness and that she always works hard in training, not forgetting train smart as well. She does her training without fail, even to this day. 

While I was doing my own 50.8km run with Flexifitness, I saw Ming Ming doing reps after reps running the MR 25 run. This also shows that she has a lot of potential in her to do 3hr 30min run time to 3hr 45min in a marathon race in the near future. Let us wish her well in her all the best to her training and race in the coming Gold Coast Marathon 2013. 

Picture 2 - The ever-smiling Ming Ming while running in MR 25 Ultramarathon race, between 7am to 7pm.



Can you share with us on your position and timing for the race?
I came in 2nd for the race. I did 83.2km in 11h 35 mins.


What was your strategy during the race?
I planned to do 8 rounds which means I have to run more than 80km and be on my feet for more than 11 hours. I decided not to think of the entire distance but to conquer every 10.4 km at a time because I know the real race only starts after 50km.

After knowing your result, how did you feel?
I was elated and satisfied that I had done my best for this race.


Are you really satisfied with the time of the race?
My plan was to do 8 rounds in under 12 hours so I am happy that I met my goal. Actually, by my 7th round, the race volunteers already told me that I am 2nd in placing so I actually didn't have to do another round. But I wanted to challenge myself this year because last year I did 7 rounds. This year I want to do 1 more round. In any event, I still had 2 hours left for my last round, so I thought, why not?


Kashken Ray Hodge, Saranniya and others from flexifitness admire your result. How do you feel about this?
I am happy to know that, but more importantly, I want them to know that seeing them and coach Rameshon during my race and having them cheer me on really lifted my spirits.


How many times have you taken part in ultramarathon races?
This is my third ultramarathon.


What made/makes you want to take part in ultramarathon races?
Ultramarathons are more fun in the sense that you get to talk more to the other runners and encourage each other.


Between marathon and ultramarathon, which do you prefer to do?
I prefer to do a marathon because a marathon is a true gauge of both your endurance and speed. Everything has got to be precise with a marathon- from your food to hydration and to your strategy. If you go out too fast, you are likely to blow your second half. If you hold back, then you may have lost out too much time by the second half of the race.

Have you ever run ultramarathon overseas?
I have not done any overseas ultramarathons yet.


How do you find the water point in the MR 25 race?
The water points were very good and were stationed around the 4 km and 6 km mark. There is always enough water, isotonic drinks and fuel for the runners.


Overall, how was the organisation of the race?
The race was very well organised. Water stations were strategically placed. There is a bag deposit near the starting point so that runners have easy access to what they need. The volunteers and organizers were always friendly and encouraging. Despite the rain, the volunteers and organizers were standing in the rain guiding and encouraging the runners. Kudos to them! :)


Are you running any race in the near future, and where are you thinking of going to?
I plan to do Gold Coast Marathon, Standard Chartered Marathon and of course the MR 25 Ultramarathon again!


www.runningcoachsg.com


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.